New Mexico MainStreet (NMMS) held their 2018 NMMS award ceremony at the historic Shuler Theater in Raton on August 9. The awards honor organizations and individuals that exemplify MainStreet’s mission to engage people, rebuild places and revitalize economies. The NMMS awards recognize outstanding achievements and leadership among local organizations and partners.
The 2018 NMMS award recipients include:
- Portales MainStreet and MainStreet Roswell for “Build Capacity for Local Economic Revitalization and Redevelopment Efforts Award”
- Downtown Farmington: A Mainstreet Project and Mountainair, Frontier Communities Initiative Project for “Create Thriving Places in New Mexico Award”
- Francisco Chavez, Mora Arts & Cultural Compound, Harding County MainStreet, and Zuni Pueblo MainStreet for “Enhance the Entrepreneurial and Creative Economy Award”
- Business Certificates were given to: Callahan's West Brewery, Halona Marketplace, Headquarters, and Lonita’s Café for their contributions to the Economic Vitality of their communities
- Alamogordo MainStreet for “Spirit of MainStreet Award”
- Cindy Collins, Mainstreet De Las Vegas for “Spirit of Preservation Award”
- Christie Ann Harvey, Deming MainStreet and Diana Sanchez, Raton MainStreet for “Golden Whip Award”
- Sazi Marri, MainStreet Truth or Consequences for “2018 Director’s Award”
The award ceremony was held at the Shuler Theater, an important cultural anchor in downtown Raton that has undergone improvements and upgrades in recent years, including new equipment to show first-run movies, as well as offering impressive cultural programming. NMMS spent their Summer Leadership Network Meeting in Raton exploring creative place-making and implementing projects in the MainStreet district.